-
August 13th, 2001, 01:16 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Anyone have advice on using squibs for bullet hits? I have tried the compressed air method and found it to be easier to use with a 5hp compressor instead of the sprayer but the reaction time is still too slow.
I would like info on safely using squibs and where to find them.
-
August 14th, 2001, 03:29 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I too could use some of that information so people speak up please. I used to know this good website for it but I forgot the address so if anyone knows, well u know what to do
Thanks,
Sean
-
August 15th, 2001, 05:36 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Special Effects are my speciality. I've recently doen a primary test on several different 'low budget' squib effects, both with wall impact and body impact of bullet hits.
The most effective method of cheap wall explosion bullet hit is to use 1/2 polystrene (discarded packaging is an ideal source), paint, stain or cover in whichever way you wish, to make it look like a wall, and use a K1 or K3 firecracker (sourced from France). The K1 will blow a huge chuck out of the board, and the K3 (inserted horizontally) will leave an approximate 10mm hole, ideal for more precison hits from the likes of 9mm handguns.
The best, cheapest, and safest way of getting a blood effect is to not use squibs at all. I used a high velocity paintball gun and built my own paintballs with red food colouring mix. when these are fired at the person, they don't hurt (use armour if the actor feels vunerable), there are no explosive remains and no wires or remote detonators are required. Pro non-fragmenting cardboard squibs (used for blood hits) retail at around ?45 - ?50 per dozen! Compared with this, a high velocity paintball gun with 50 paintablls can cost the same, especially if you purchase the gun second hand.
I have recorded the effects of firecracker squibs, painball blood effects and some other experimental squib trigger techniques to produce a video for a film company I am working with in Oxford. The documenatry is still in post but I will let those who are interested know when is ready.
As for websites and stockists for the squibs, bloodpacks, guns etc. I do have several websites, but don't recommend using squibs, especially on persons, unless specially trained in stage or film pyrotechnics. Those who are seriously interested in using professional squibs and pyros, drop me an email ( [email protected] ) and I'll give you some further advice.
I'm also availible as a pyrotechnitian/ special effects supervisor to work on some low budget projects, often very cheap, so if you'd like my help feel free to email me.
Regards
Keviano
ReelRaine Productions
-
August 15th, 2001, 05:49 PM
#4
Inactive Member
That's interesting: I didn't know you could get cardboard squibs. The ones I use from Theatrical Pyrotechnics near Heathrow (they supply the James Bond films) are made of plastic nylon. They cost about ?3 each.
The only thing that worries me about them is the plastic flying out and hitting someone in the eye. I've been hit in the face before but it doesn't penetrate the skin, so it probably wouldn't penetrate the eyeball either (since the eye is just as strong, I believe).
Can you tell me where to get the cardboard squibs?
-
August 19th, 2001, 01:18 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Cardboard squibs are manrfactured by Le Maitre Pyrotechnics. These are specifically non-fragmenting so you shouldn't get any stuff blowing up in your actors eyes. Ordering info is on Le Maitres website:
http://www.lemaitre.co.uk
The LeMaitre brouchure describes the squibs as follows:
"NON FRAGMENTING MICRODET - INSTANT EFFECT
This effect has a cardboard case and is used to simulate body hits, bursting blood bags, etc. These must be used with the appropriate body armour and expert advise is strongly advised."
Just found another supplier, a place called StageCraft carry the Le maitre range. Call them on 01722 326055.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Keviano
ReelRaine Productions
-
August 20th, 2001, 08:44 AM
#6
eddie
Guest
hmmmm... the reason people use squibs is because no projectile is actually used or involved in the effect. Its dangerous to shoot things at people, paintballing has loads of safety equipment (such as goggles) that you cant use on a film set.
Besides A paint pellet will almost certainly just look like someone got hit with a paint pellet, when the shirt blows open and blood bursts out, its much more effective.
Id advise you guys to use the squib, and not shoot things at your actors.
------------------
-
August 20th, 2001, 10:43 AM
#7
Inactive Member
I'll think you'll find that they used a gun like projectile device in the first Batman movie.
For body hits and sparks off the wall.
I can't remember what the jiggys are called.
Anyway I think it's ment to save time setting body/wall squibs up.
------------------
blackfrogproductions.com
The majesty of media
-
August 20th, 2001, 06:24 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Actually... projectiles produce a more realistic impression because a real bullet is in fact, a projectile. A real bullet entering a body could make a lot of different impressions, depending on the tragectory and velocity of the bullet, the metal on the tip and the spin on the bullet on entry, plus numerous other factors.
Exit woulds are more like you see most of the time in films, where a bullet would exit the body, leaving a blown-out style piece of clothing and the blood would fly away from the body.
Squibs look the most 'realistic' coz they look like most other films! Nothing wrong with that though.
The best gunshot would in a film I have ever seen is in Bad Boys, when Pouchez shoots his drug buyer in the airport hanger. It's shot from the side and in slow motion, the entry and exit woulds look fantastic! I challenge you to find a better one! (see my topic on this board)
Regards
Keviano
ReelRaine Productions
-
August 21st, 2001, 02:01 AM
#9
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica, sans serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keviano:
Cardboard squibs are manrfactured by Le Maitre Pyrotechnics. These are specifically non-fragmenting so you shouldn't get any stuff blowing up in your actors eyes. Ordering info is on Le Maitres website:
http://www.lemaitre.co.uk
The LeMaitre brouchure describes the squibs as follows:
"NON FRAGMENTING MICRODET - INSTANT EFFECT
This effect has a cardboard case and is used to simulate body hits, bursting blood bags, etc. These must be used with the appropriate body armour and expert advise is strongly advised."
Just found another supplier, a place called StageCraft carry the Le maitre range. Call them on 01722 326055.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Keviano
ReelRaine Productions
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks!
On the subject of bullet hits, I think most films are usually unrealistic, especially the way the blood flows out of the massive hole in whatever garment they're wearing.
Check out the photos of the St. Valentines Day Massacre (the actual event, not the movie) and you'll notice that even though each of the men was machine-gunned and each was shot an average of 40 times, they are no holes in they're clothing and no blood on the wall directly behind them. The only blood on the floor is from a guy who's had half his head blown off by a shotgun blast.
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks